Friday, August 11, 2006

Road Tripping.....

I just got back from nearly a week of shooting in the Eastern Sierra's, mostly in and around the June Lake area. I went off on my own a lot and saw some amazing things, some revisited and others totally new.

One of the side trips this week took us up to Bodie, Ca which was an old gold mining town that eventually went bust and everyone moved away. Sometime in the 1960's it was turned into a state park which resulted in its preservation as a pretty accurate time capsule of life in the late 1800's until the early 1900's. Somehow this "ghost town" escaped the commercialization like Calico and as a result has a very haunting feel to it as you walk about looking at how folks lived some 100 years ago.

I don't know why I have a facination with the ghost towns, but I do and enjoy exploring whenever I can. Maybe its that very haungting feeling about treading in an area that has outlived its time here only leaving its shell like some pupa that has completed its metamorphasis.

Of course this aura of life past is something I enjoy exploring with my images and the transformation from a photo into one of my watercolor photographs. Bodie was one of those jackpot destinations that gave me much to work with and ponder how I wanted to communicate what I saw as I explored it. Certainly its been fodder tonight for a series of my more impressionistic watercolor photos.

Of course this week leaves me with nearly 2500 images to catalog and work on the those that taunt me the most. Somehow I promise to get my website updated soon...maybe an entire chapter to ghost towns?

Enjoy these images... "Bodie Clunker" and "Assayers Window"


No comments: