Monday, February 08, 2010

San Gabriel River and San Gabriel Mountains

Today I hiked the river. Intent was to concentrate on just shades of gray and contrast. I dialed in slowest relative ISO for minimum noise and maximum detail. Whilst I was at it I selected the "red" photo-filter option so the jpegs would have the appearance of a black and white film shot through a red filter.

Back in the day of Black and White silver based photography one would slap on a real "RED" filter, deep red no less for a variety of reasons. For landscape photography it lightened the yellows and reds of flowers while making the blue sky and green foliage darker. You did this in particular when you wanted to accentuate the sky and get better cloud detail. With portraiture it tended to help lighten the skin and even out the complexion. Obviously I went for cloud detail today.

Of course, I shot with RAW/Jpeg combo. The RAW images have all the detail and colors there just in case I get a wild hair and want to do something with them one of these days.

No comments: