Saturday, May 16, 2009

J'adore Paris - or at least the romantic memory of it


I loved my time in Paris.  Beautiful city, charming people and the sights were truly beautiful.  Small wonder it has the reputation of being one of the most romantic cities on the planet.  

In working some of the images from Paris in an impressionists style I opted for the soft romantic feel of the Orton Style rather than going back to the HDR more surreal feel.   Am glad I did.

What I am beginning to discover in working into the Orton style is that if you start with a slightly over exposed original you will keep some shadow detail.   This is important as many of the Orton style works I have seen of late kept the standard formula of mating together a regular exposed and a 1 stop over-exposed image which unfortunately yields "bullet proof blacks".  Or areas of shadow so devoid of detail they are just big blobs of black that no light penetrates.   

Since I like a full tonal range opting to go my route of overexposing the frame by 1 stop and work from the resulting RAW file alter it to just 1/2 to 3/4 of normal with the RAW Processor in CS.  I do lose a little highlight detail but gladly exchange that for huge gains in shadow detail.  Both of these images were worked that way and am pleased with the detail in the shadows while still keeping the highlights saturated with color and nominal loss of detail.  IT adds to the romance of the scene when you have that detail instead of the big black blob.

No comments: