Saturday, March 05, 2011

A little Black and White work from the Soulard Market




I remember this shoot quite well. The assignment was for a publications class I took at SIU-C. We were to take documentary type portraits for a "Sunday" type publication. Rather than opt for local to the school photo ops I decided to have a little road trip and go to the Soulard Farmers Market in St Louis.

The Soulard Market is the oldest continuously operating farmers market west of the Mississippi River. It was set up near the banks of the river in 1838 and has operated on that spot since its inception. A little more history HERE.

I kept pretty detailed records back in the day so I know a bit about these images. They were shot on Kodak's Tri-X pan film at its normal ISO of 400 and developed in D-76. I've kept them sleeved in archival pages since they were processed so they are nearly as good as the day I developed them. Even the "contact sheets" that were for each page are attached still after all these years so my life is so much easier picking which strip to scan.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I run the Soulard Market web site and love your pictures. I would love it if you could email me any pictures you may have from that shoot. I keep an archive of all the photo's I encounter and would love to add your photo's. A lot of the people in you your photo's have passed on and I know that their families would love to see them as well.

Thank You,
Scott Schweiger
SoulardMarket@aol.com