Sunday, September 25, 2011

The joy of hand color negatives

In theory using the opposite color on the color wheel will get you the color you want.  In this case for reasons unknown that theory didn't work.  I used a nice shade of green expecting red and got purple.  I still like the result, note how the bleed beyond the signpost seems to make it glow.

This is part of the experimental hand coloring of negatives to add artificial color to a monochromatic scene that I have been working on over the last few months.

The scene was shot on Tri-X pan, developed in 1:1 D76 for max details and contrast range.  The finished negative was hand colored with a Crayola brand "super tip" marker then scanned with an Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner at max dpi.  Adobe's photoshop was used to resize the file for printing and publication (like this web sized image).

It will be one of several hand colored negatives printed for the satchel of loose prints at the coming Celebrate the Arts.  I'll be in a space right on the sidewalk near the corner of Lime and Myrtle in Library Park here in Monrovia CA 10/8-9.  Come see me and my work in person that weekend.

No comments: