Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 4th of July!!!

I got to visit Mount Rushmore a couple of times during our stay in the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota.

Interesting place, quite stunning, but a bit of a disappointment too. This was my first visit and some preset ideas and expectations. I can still remember reading about it in my Weekly Reader in elementary school and somehow thought it should be so much bigger. Maybe its those pics on the ashtray souvenir's that my grandmother who was born near there had that set it in my mind they would be so much bigger. Whatever its still pretty cool to see in person.

Anyway, I learned a lot about them during these visits and walking the various trails around the monument. Impressive for what they are. Moving to understand why each president was chosen (am too lazy to type so google Mt Rushmore and get to the National Forest Service's explanation and history for all those details).

I shot several different images of the monument bracketing for HDR. When I get back to a real pc I'll work them through. In the mean time enjoy the images and think about what each of these presidents contributed to our country's growth. Quite an appropriate moment of silence as you prepare to celebrate our nations Independence and freedoms.